Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why I will never be a pastry chef...

Let's talk about my worst day since I've come to study at Cordon Bleu.

It all started when I was assigned to be the assistant who transports all the needed ingredients for the day from the pantry to our kitchen. Because I spent so much time setting up, I got off to a late start. I was hurrying to keep up as I was the last one to get each part of the cake done, of which there were 5. First, a sponge cake which we would make a 60 x 40 cm sheet of, yet only use
a thin strip of 60 x 3 cm. Then there was another crunchier coconut sponge cake. Then two mousses -- passion fruit & raspberry. Then the raspberry glaze to top it off.

The chef that was overseeing us had only worked with us in one other practical, in which I had a minor mishap and so he already thought of me as the straggler of the group. So seeing me struggle to get everything done no doubt solidified his notion. Just as I was catching up to everyone, I went to put the almost finished cake (just the glaze needed to be poured on), in the freezer to allow the mousse to set. As I bent down to put my cake and a fellow student's cake in the freezer, the tray tilted and a cake slipped off the edge and fell to the ground. At first thought, I was somewhat relieved that it was my cake, but then realized that I had dropped another student's cake! In my sudden panic at how I would tell the girl that I dropped her cake, tears weld up in my eyes. I told her the news and after seeing how I looked, visibly upset about it, she was really nice and said "Don't worry. Things like this happen." As I cleaned the cake off the floor, I shed a couple tears and then got it together to help her redo the cake.

The chef was not present when I dropped the cake and a student went to inform him what had occurred. They were all the way across the room, but I heard the student answer when asked who did it, "Vaishali." I turned around when I heard my name and saw the look on the chef's face. It was an "oh...figures" type of look. I just wanted to run out of the room at that point.

After the initial panic, all I really could say to myself was, "Thank god I plan to be an astrophysicist and not a pastry chef."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww...This story almost brought tears to my eyes also, and then I laughed thinking of "jaurment".. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, this story made me want to just give you a big hug and buy you a drink. At least you can't mess up somebody else's astrophysics because you dropped it on the floor! Welcome back to science!

Antara said...

Awwww ... soooo sad!!! I'm laughing out loud at the same time though :-D