Thursday, October 11, 2012

Moist? Ewww!

The word "moist" is one of the few words that most people have an averse reaction to. It elicits feelings of ickiness, and I find no need to mention it here, but we all know what image "moist" brings about. Don't quote me on this, but I think it actually makes the list of most hated words. (Who is compiling these lists, anyway?) Personally, I also feel bothered by "moistness", but oddly enough, its the lack of moistness that bothers me. Gross, right?

Not really, because if you know me at all personally, you'd know that this probably will end up having to do with food. I believe the only usage of the word "moist" that doesn't gross people out is when its referring to the "moistness" of a dessert, say, of cake. In that case, a moistness is an absolute must.

Turns out that for much of cuisine other than dessert and pastry, dryness, or the lack of moisture (to not gross you out too much with overuse of the word), is a big issue. How often have you had a mac and cheese that is actually, well, exactly that--macaroni and cheese--practically separate entities. Ideally, one would want something like that made at Beechers Cheese Shop in Seattle. (Refer to image) If I need to explain to you why that mac and cheese is preferable to a drier sort, then you're probably reading the wrong blog, and you probably aren't my friend.

I feel like much of my baking and culinary adventures are stemmed from the desire to find recipes that don't have this problem of dryness. So, if you catch me obsessing about the moistness of a cake, just remember, I'm one of the rare people who actually like the word "moist".

Images: Jamie, mybakingaddiction.com
macandcheesechick.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is
written by him as no one else know such detailed about
my difficulty. You're incredible! Thanks!

Review my website; galaxy s4