Saturday, October 20, 2007

Plating and Finishing


Today we presented our creme brulee and creme caramel. The presentation of the brulee was just torching the sugar on top. I was pretty proud of my creme brulee because although one would think it's pretty easy to torch the sugar, there was a trick involved. We were to first torch a thin layer of brown sugar, and then another thin layer after that. Because I've made creme brulee before and had Daddy Bhardwaj to critique the top layer, I knew that it was easy to burn the top, and if you made the layer too thick, the whole dish would be too sweet. So taking that into account, I ended doing a really good job of getting the right proportions. The chef had been tasting, critiquing, and grading our dishes and mine was pretty much the only one which wasn't too sweet or burnt. Yay!

For the creme caramel, we had to decorate our plate like it would be served at a restaurant. I was stressed out because I'm totally not artistic and kept seeing people next to me doing extravagant things with their plates. I stared at a blank plate for about 10 minutes before even attempting anything. We had some sauces and fruits and little "tuile biscuits" that we made to garnish our creme caramel. I tried a couple different things with the sauces, which proved to be too complicated and difficult for my untrained hands. I realized that I shouldn't try to be overly ambitious in my artistic abilities and just do a simple design that was worth presenting. In the end, I was pretty happy with it!

And finally, I decided to make this blog a little more exciting by adding a picture. Soon to come...me in the ridiculous chef's garb.

6 comments:

charitha said...

its beautiful! i want to eat it. can we discuss the terms of you heading up the desserts at my wedding?

Antara said...

Kutu -- your presentation looks great. Simple & classy. What did the chef say? Just shrug, mutter something in french on move on? Oh, and Charitha -- I wouldn't bother planning your wedding desserts right now -- at the rate you're going, it's going to be awhile before that's even a concern. (yes! let the trash talking begin!!!)

Unknown said...

Kutu..I am impressed with your artistic cretivity!!! No really... :)

charitha said...

antara, i JUST commented on your blog. see if ever read it again!!


....or maybe you should start looking for those self-help books for me too.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh when are we finally going to see a picture of the neckerchief?? We've waited long enough.

Rishi said...

your berries look messy and the streaks of sauce aren't even. i wouldn't touch that dessert with a ten foot spoon.

(juuuust kidding! looks amazing--man i want to come visit you in london and see you in action!)