Monday, November 5, 2007

A piece of black plastic...

My god....I'd have to admit to it right about now...best meal of my life. I used to say that it was one from France, near Bordeaux, but this one just owned it. This restaurant was a 3-star restaurant and back in 1999 (or something like that), when the E-Coli bit hit, they decided to rid their menu of all meat. So they basically specialize in vegetarian food! Great for me and the fam. So before we even ordered food...they made us try about 5 different....I don't even know what to call them. Basically it was bite-sized finger food...but soo gourmet. It was all centered around some vegetable....radish, butternut squash, beet roots, etc. Then we had like 5 courses after that..and you know..you can't even describe what you're eating...which is what makes it so amazing! My mom cooks really well and usually can decipher tastes, and I try to decipher tastes as well, but you have NO IDEA what ingredients are used.

Anyway, what was really nice was, at the restaurant, a couple next to us decided to ask us where we're from. They were from Mexico, so I'm guessing that they thought we were Mexican too. The wife loved America and we bonded about how we don't like that people are so uptight in Europe. But lets get down to it...this guy was rolling hardcore. When he was paying his bill...I noticed that he had an American Express Black Card. Anyway, u basically get that card if you are ridiculously bankish...so being intoxicated as I was, I said "so..i notice you have a black card...how did you get that?" and he's like "oh they just gave it to me!" Crazy. Anyway, however bankish they were, it was nice to know that they weren't rich pricks...which is the case for a lot of those rich ones in France.

I bonded w/ the waiter about how much I love that the French take their food so seriously.
The black-card friend of mine apparently knows 10 of the 15 3-star chefs in paris....right...remind ME to roll w/ him. The chef at the restaurant came out and talked to our friend and I was so awkward. Seriously, it was like the guy was a celebrity. I mean, he really was. I know none of you think so...but he's a 3-star chef...of which there are about 15 in Paris. He really IS celebrity status. *sigh* Anyway....good night in Paris.
I visited Le Cordon Bleu Paris, and it's more high class than the one in London. I can't believe I'm gonna be living in Paris in a couple months...a little bothersome. The French scare the crap out of me. Ugh... I'm probably not making sense right now but it's cuz of the really great wine we had tonight....basically...AMAZING night. Goodnight!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to make awkward drunk comments to your friend with the Amex black card...although nothing tops the time that I was so drunk that I said my name was "Vaishali" in front of everyone, right?

If/when you come to see me in Boston, I want to take you to Helmand, this AMAZING Afghan restaurant near MIT. Owned by Hamid Karzai's brother!! The food is just so delicious. But you will be used to nothing but delicious food by that point!!

Unknown said...

Kutu, I believe you when you say that a 3 star chef is a "celebrity"..
Once I read an article about 5 star french chefs and how stressed out they are. Being a 5 star chef is like a Nobel Prize winner in France. It is such an honor to have a 5 star and keeping a 5 star can really drive them to insanity. So in this article this guy could not take the stress and killed himself despite the fact he got his 5 stars that he had been waiting for his whole life..and they also mentioned that its a very commom thing for the 5 star chefs to go insane and kill themselves...strange culture..

Antara said...

You shoulda asked the Mexican guy his name (casually) and then we coulda googled him and found out who he was. Prolly owns a city down there or something.

Omg Sarah -- you told people your name was Vaishali??? HAHAHAHAHAH!

Anonymous said...

Great work.