Thursday, November 22, 2007

Roses are Not Always Red

We've finally started making things I actually like, which is probably not a good thing for my escalating weight. In three days, we made three different cakes--chocolate with hazelnuts and a chocolate ganache and glaze, sponge cake with a raspberry jam and vanilla buttercream, and a black forest cake. This cake segment of the class has given me more confidence, because I'm not always the last one finished and I'm decently good at some of the techniques. We had an "assessment" on the day of the sponge cake. We had to finish the whole cake in 2 hours, instead of the usual 3! I realized through that experience, that pressure is what gets me to get the job done. We all weren't talking and just moving quickly while focusing, and I was the first one finished!

Also, I've decided who my favorite chef is in school. He's another French guy (surprise, surprise), who does both pastry and cuisine. The first time we had him as our chef during a practical was about 4 weeks in, and he was great because he was interested in knowing about all of us. On Thursday, a bunch of kids from school went to the closest pub from school (literally 50 feet away), and Chef Loic also joined us for some pints. He asked me if I wanted to be a chef, which is really an awkward question when coming from a teacher, because I don't want them to think I'm not serious about the course. I ended up telling him that I'm getting my Ph.D. in astrophysics and was hesitant to see his reaction but he was very supportive! He said he really thinks I should get my Ph.D. because I can always be a pastry chef later in life, but obviously, the time to get my Ph.D. is now. It was just nice for him to have been supportive and non-judgemental about my decision to not become a pastry chef when the course is finished.

On another note, I've become really antisocial and lazy lately. I have no motivation to leave the house or hang out with other students. Partly, it's because it's been raining, but for example, this Saturday I was asked to party with two different groups of people, but couldn't get myself to go for the life of me. Eh, I guess it's just a phase, but part of me thinks I should be taking advantage of being in London and hanging out with the new people. Then part of me also thinks I'm only going to be in London for a month longer, and it's been so nice spending this time with the Mertners, let me just keep doing that.

Oh and...I made a rose from marzipan, and it actually looked like a rose!

No comments: